Thursday, September 14, 2006

9/11 : Recollection

I remember one Tuesday, 5 years ago. It was a lovely day in Damascus, Syria, that day. Nice breeze, not too hot, the smell of autumn in the air. Unusual, that day, we decided to go out for lunch, to Saydnaya, a little way north of Damascus. I remember we went to a nice place, with gardens and flowers, a paradise on Earth. I remember after lunch, while leaving, an acquaintance of Father told him about the strangest news. He told him the Pentagon and the White House were under attack. That was the first bit of news that reached us. It past was 4 in the afternoon. I remember them talking that it suited the US right for interfering with other countries' business. I remember turning on the radio and listening to the news. At least the first shreds that reached us behind the Iron Wall. I remember my first thought was "Crazy Koreans, so they did it after all..." I remember the way these shred reached us : "Rogue fighter planes attacking US government buildings. One was shot down, the other went kamikaze". I remember turning on the TV as soon as getting home. I remember the image of the Twin Towers being hit by the planes. I remember seeing them collapse...
Then there was silence...